Sunday, July 12, 2009

Dusty D, Stamping 411, & More

Looks like today's going to be a little bit of this, a little bit of that. Sort of a mish mash of stuff. Pastor's sermon today was really good and got me thinking about fighting, well actually boxing and wrestling. Doesn't that sound like an interesting topic for a sermon? It was surprising to me how he explained the two types of fighting - boxing is essentially pushing someone away from you, and wrestling is pulling someone in close to you. These two analogies showed us how we're to push away the bad things of the world, but pull people in close to us to show them our love and caring. It was such a novel way of thinking that I'm still mulling it over 8 hours later. Hmmm...
The next little tidbit of information I'm passing on to you, is the fact that today marked the 50th anniversary of a couple from church that I've know for years. (I had no idea they were that old!) Anyway, 50 years is such a milestone, I knew I wanted to make them a card to commemorate it. So before supper, I was down in my stamping dungeon going through my stash of goodies on the table and saw Dusty Durango and Blush Blossom cardstock laying there. Okay, that would work out fine.
Last night before bed I hopped over to the Stamping 411 Operators Challenge here to see what was the new challenge. It was a lovely layout with very clean and simple lines. Okay, that seemed to fit the requirements just fine. So I was off and stamping. But to make the stamp fit right for the card, I ended up turning the layout on it's side. And this is the result - ta da!
All stamps and materials by Stampin' Up!
Stamps: Teeny Tiny Wishes (new), Autumn Days (new), and Tres Chic BG
Cardstock: Dusty Durango, Soft Suede, and Blush Blossom
Ink: Blush Blossom and Dusty Durango
Accessories: Dusty Durango Polka Dot Grosgrain Ribbon, Styled Silver Hodgepodge Hardware, Designer Label Punch, Mat Pack and Piercing Tool, Dimensional, and Sponge quarter
I am very pleased at how soft and elegant this card turned out. The words from Tres Chic fit the anniversary thoughts but aren't over-powering to the rest of the card. The couple this is going to will appreciate the colors (her favorites) and the thoughts that go with it! Happy Anniversary Bob and Doris! Hope you have many more happy years together!
Now on to the next little creation. While checking out the DT's creations at the Stamping 411 blog, Selene Kempton's card really struck me and I had one of those 'duh' moments. I hadn't done the technique of dry embossing on DSP and then sanding it to get the white core to show through and thereby emphasizing the embossed design. I also needed a sympathy card again, and thought this would look very nice. Since the Dusty Durango was out, I just worked with it. I had just gotten the DSP to match so it went together nicely.
All stamps and materials by SU!
Stamps: Teeny Tiny Wishes and Autumn Days
Cardstock: Dusty Durango, Very Vanilla, and Blush Blossom cardstock, and Dusty Durango Designer Series Paper
Ink: Dusty Durango
Accessories: Styled Vanilla Hodgepodge Hardware, Designer Label Punch, Big Shot and Elegant Bouquet Embossing Folder (new), Sanding Blocks, Dimensionals, and a Sponge quarter.
I just love the way this card turned out. Can you believe I used my Hodgepodge Hardware on two cards in a row?! I hardly ever use them myself, 'cuz then I'll never have enough on hand for classes. Wow, maybe I'll start letting some of these goodies leave my sticky little fingers. I just don't want to let go!! Or maybe I'll have to order some more so I'll have even more to hang onto ever so tightly!! LOL I know none of you out there in stampingland ever hoard your ribbons, or hardware, or buttons, DSP, or......
Hah, the secret's out! I'm not the only hoarder out there!
Have a great evening and remember - "it's better to give than to receive", so I better start using those goodies and sharing them with others.
Sharon

No comments: