Thursday, April 23, 2009

Watercoloring Fun

Oh, I just have to tell you how much fun I had yesterday! My downline Janine and I both have birthdays this month, so we thought we'd get together and stamp and then have lunch. I've never been to Noodles & Company before, but do they ever have scrumptious food! Mmm-mmm good! That part was fun. But the best part of the day was learning at the feet of greatness! I'd asked Janine to help me with my watercoloring - the shading and highlighting of images that she does so wonderfully. It was really eye-opening to see what colors get put together for shading. I would have never guessed!



I was so excited about what I'd done, that I came home and worked on making cards that did justice to my work! Woo Hoo!! I know I'm not truly proficient yet, and need to practice alot! But it was fun to see this image come to life under my fingers. Gee, I'm not excited much about this, am I? LOL
All stamps and materials by Stampin' Up!
Stamps: A Kind Word and Great Friend
Cardstock: Barely Banana, Pacific Point, and Shimmery White
Ink: Stazon Jet Black and Pacific Point ink pads and Basic Black Marker to ink one word on the stamp
Accessories: Watercolor Pencils, Blender Pen, Scallop Oval Punch, Large Oval Punch, Word
Window Punch, Flower Trio Punch, Rich Regals Mini Brads, Big Shot with SU! Backgrounds 1 Texture Plates, Sponge quarter, and Dimensionals



So this is the first one. What do you think? Is there hope for me??? I'm still super excited just looking at it! It's funny when you're coloring away, each layer of color jumps out at you and looks way too intense. Looking over it now, I think there are areas that could stand a touch more color to define some of the shading areas. How interesting.




Now on to the second image I worked on. This is from the same set, and I thought the kittens were so cute. I found out it's much harder to watercolor and shade dark, tiny areas like the kittens. I wanted a gray cat like my Smokey, and it's almost impossible for me to shade the gray. Another lesson learned. Also, there is no pink in the coloring, but after putting about 50 colors up against this image, it seemed that the Pretty in Pink worked better than anything else. So I guess you don't always need to layer with colors already part of the image. Another lesson learned. What an informative day!


All stamps and materials by SU!

Stamps: A Kind Word, Sanded, Sprinkles, and Sweet Little Sentiments

Cardstock: Shimmery White, Pretty in Pink, Baja Breeze, Barely Banana

Ink: Stazon Jet Black, So Saffron, and Craft White

Accessories: Watercolor Pencils, Blender Pen, Slit Punch, Scallop Oval Punch, Large Oval Punch, 1/8" Circle Punch, White Taffeta Ribbon, Sponge quarter, and Dimensionals

Well, that's it for today. I really hope you liked these cards I've shared with you. Please feel free to give me any input on them that you have. I'll only learn by critiques of others - that's how I learn what needs improving. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

And thanks for stopping by today. Have a great day!

Sharon

3 comments:

mmmmmmm said...

kind of kooky. I like it.
please check out my artwork...
http://www.untumsmunudmum.blogspot.com

Vera said...

Wow, your coloring is beautiful, Sharon, and your cards are lovely! I wish I could get some coloring tips from Janine, too!

laurie said...

Your water coloring is awesome. I wish i could learn more...i am horrible at it..what ever i use. Markers look aweful..i am somewhat better at the water color crayons. I need to take some classes!!!!