Saturday, July 20, 2013

New Fun and Easy Technique!

Oh my!  You're gonna love this quick and easy technique!  I just saw a card made with this masking tape technique and had to give it a try right away.   It's so quick and easy, but looks spectacular.  I'm going to share this with my Hostess Club ladies this week for sure.  But first...  Remember I had you finding the changes between two cards I made?  Here's the list of changes I made in case you didn't figure it out:
1.  same stamp set for sentiment, but different stamp used
2.  used a new Candy Dot on the 'i' in birthday
3.  added a layer of Wild Wasabi for the card base and a layer of Whisper White inside the card for the sentiment and note I wrote.
See, it was just little changes, but it makes each card unique.  Now on to this cool, new idea (at least it was all new to me!!)
 
Stamps:  Serene Silhouettes, Express Yourself,  and Wanderlust (one of the Photopolymer Stamp sets we sell)
Ink:  Bermuda Bay, Crisp Cantaloupe, Baked Brown Sugar, and Basic Black
Paper:  Crisp Cantaloupe, Bermuda Bay, Basic Black, and Whisper White
Accessories:  Dimensionals and painters tape
I ran across a tutorial on using masking tape to transfer ink to your cardstock here.  It looked really different for a background and I had to try it.  There are a couple things I learned while making this card.  First of all, the older 'classic' stamp pads seemed to give a softer transfer of color.  The new pads are pretty juicy which are wonderful when inking a stamp, but are a bit much for this technique.

Secondly, I think next time around I'd use a lighter color than the Baked Brown Sugar.  It looks kind of 'heavy' on this card.

Thirdly, make sure your black ink pad is thoroughly inked up.  I cut off the part that didn't look nice because it wasn't a nice crisp image, and inked up a smaller image to be able to use my paper.  Don't want to throw anything away, you know!

TIP:  The instructions said to use glossy cardstock and masking tape.  Since we don't sell glossy cardstock anymore, I thought I'd try it with Whisper White instead.  I used a low-tack painters tape so it wouldn't rip the cardstock when taking it off.  On this card, it worked perfectly. 

Also, did you  notice the little airplane in the sky?  That's from the Wanderlust stamp set and was the perfect addition to the card.  I was looking for something little to go up in the corner, a bird maybe.  But couldn't find anything.  Then I remembered this set - the airplane is just what was needed!  And it goes nicely with the sentiment too.

Well, there you have it for today.  Hope you give this a try and let me know how it works for you.  Happy stamping!  Sharon

No comments: