Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Vintage Vogue in Melon Mambo

I was cruisin' around the Stampin' Connection (a site for just SU! demos) and came across a picture of 6 cards made by Laurel Matthew. How cute they were! One of the things I really liked about her cards was the use of 'white space'. So I thought I'd give her ideas a try. I mean, they say that copying is the sincerest form of flattery. I wonder what it means when you start to copy and then take off on a whole different tangent???

The only parts that really were copied are the white space with the Perfect Polka Dot embossing folder, the same stamp set, and the strip of brown cardstock on the side edge. The rest is totally different! It's always amazing to me how a few changes - like colors, style, accessories, and placement on a card can change the whole idea and feel of the card. Hope you like what I came up with.
Stamps: Vintage Vogue and Three Little Words
Cardstock: Whisper White, Close To Cocoa, Melon Mambo
Ink: Melon Mambo, Pretty in Pink, Old Olive, Close to Cocoa
Accessories: Perfect Polka Dot Impression Folder, Big Shot, Buttons Latte', Linen Thread, Melon Mambo Polka Dot Ribbon, Mini Glue Dots, and Dimensionals
I'm so happy with the way this turned out. First try there was only Pretty in Pink flowers in the background. Too blah. So I added some Melon Mambo flowers that were off-stamped to give a softer look. Love it now!
So thank you Laurel Matthew! I loved your ideas and had fun making my own totally different version of your card. I guess that's what stamping is all about - seeing something you like and changing it into something more your own style. My hope is that you, my reader, can use my ideas to come up with your own brilliant creations too!
That's what's so great about this craft. Anyone can do it and feel very creative no matter what their skill level is. And it's so much fun!!! lol Now get out there and do some stamping!!
Sharon
ps - I just noticed I didn't use any punches on this card! Now how in the world did that happen? I normally use punches on everything!

1 comment:

Tory said...

Love it, Sharon. Very pretty. I may have to try one, too, and see where mine takes me!