Monday, December 13, 2010

Welcome Baby

A good friend of mine from church is a new grandmother!! Her daughter had her baby this past week, and my friend is walking on air right now! Having a new baby in the family can really do that to you. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about! lol So, I sat down to make her a card and thought I'd share it with you. I'm sure you've seen lots of the onesie shaped cards already, so it really isn't anything super-special. But I've never made one before and didn't have a pattern for one either. Therefore the dimensions might be a bit different. I just started with a regular sized top-fold card and started in with my punches. Actually it wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. I only have one big problem. Now that the card is done, I can't send it! It turned out waaaaay too girlish for me 'cuz the new baby is a little boy. I thought I'd be okay with the colors, but I sure was wrong. It's back to the drawing board for a more boyish version.

Stamps: retired "welcome baby" and Itty Bitty Backgrounds
Cardstock: Very Vanilla, Pacific Point and Real Red
Ink: Real Red and Basic Black
Accessories: Paper Snips, Word Window Punch, 1 3/8" Circle Punch, Scallop Circle Punch, Large Oval Punch, and Star Punch









Like I mentioned earlier, I thought these colors would be boyish enough, but the scalloped edges really sends a different message. They do make the onesie cuter, but takes away the masculine appearance. Not sure what I'll figure for the next one. Maybe I should give up on the idea of a shaped card altogether and do something much more traditional. Not as much fun, but at least I know how to make it look like it's for a baby boy!!





Here's another shot for you. I just loved the idea of the pocket! But way too cutesie for a little fella.

In case you're wondering, I used the Word Window Punch to get started on the arm sections. I punched at an angle a couple of times to give me the shape I thought it should have. Then I trimmed the shape nicely with my snips.

Ok, that's it. I'm off to try this card again. Wish me luck with this one. Otherwise I'll end up with a stash of new baby cards and nothing to send!
Thanks for stopping by today.
Sharon

No comments: