Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pretty One Layer Card

I was talking to a friend the other day who was complaining about needing to add so many layers on a card to make it look nice.  So my goal today was to make a card that has only one layer.  I know, it's hardly ever done anymore and could I really do it up nicely without using extra ribbons or other stuff to make it look special.  Well, I did.... and actually I didn't.  Let me tell you all about it!

Stamps:  Everything Eleanor and Really Good Greetings
Ink:  Pumpkin Pie, Always Artichoke, and Cajun Craze
Paper:  Very Vanilla
Accessories:   Big Shot and Ovals Collection Framelits, Sponge Daubers, and Pearls Basic Jewels
Yeah, I know - I used almost nothing to make the card!!  The Big Shot and Ovals Framelits were used ahead of time to cut out a mask that can be used again.  (save the cut out oval for another project!)  I sponged on an oval of Pumpkin Pie ink a little right of center to give me a focal point for the card.  It really needs something like this to pull the elements in together.  I kept the sponging heavier on the edges and none in the middle to give it more depth.  I also sponged very lightly around the outside edge of the card to add color for a faux layer.

Then on to the wonderful swirl from the Everything Eleanor stamp set.  This is such a pretty element all by itself.  It gives the card substance and frames the sentiment nicely.  Since I wanted to give an autumn feel to the card, I used Always Artichoke for the swirl.  Then I added the sentiment which was stamped with Cajun Craze ink.

At that point it was done, but I couldn't leave it alone just yet.  It needed something to make it stand out a little bit.  So... after looking around for possibilities, I chose to add several pearls scattered among the swirls for a little understated bling. 

And that's it for my one layer card.  Hope you're inspired to give the idea a try.  It's kind of freeing not having to worry about how many layers to use.  But I have to admit - I still love adding layers!!
Have a fabulous day!  Get out those stamps and give them some love.     Sharon

No comments: