Saturday, September 22, 2012

Halloween Medallions

How strange it is when creative minds are thinking alike!  The past 2 weeks I'd been playing around making some new Halloween decorations.  You have to understand about this.  You see, Halloween isn't my favorite holiday, but I have an evergreen swag with twinkle lights draped on the top of my entertainment center that stays up all year.  I just change out the little treasures that are nestled or hung from it every season.  And it was getting to be time for the ghosts and goblins to come out, but the old ones were looking a little droopy and faded.  So I've been working on new DSP medallions to go up there.  I wanted them two-sided so they could be for Halloween and the rest of fall too.  They were about finished with just a few fall ideas for the back to finish when the latest "Stampin' Success" came in the mail.  Imagine my surprise when I saw exactly what I'd been working on featured in the magazine!!  Wow!  Deja vu and all that, you know? 
Anyway, here are mine - a little bigger, but very similar!


 


I've no idea why 2 of the pictures flipped sideways and can't get them to behave themselves.  What a hassle!  Anyway, you can see just how cute they turned out and I can't wait to get them hung upstairs.   After seeing the layout in the magazine, I made the little one like one that was pictured there.  It was made with black cardstock that was cut 1" wide.  All the rest were made with Howlstooth and Scaringbone Designer Series Paper that was cut 2" wide.  I also used the Silver Glimmer paper to add some glitz to them because most of them looked on the dark side.  As you can see from the back of one, I added pumpkins and/or fall-toned leaves, so I can just flip them over to the backside and they'll do double duty through November.               These are so easy to make using the Simply Scoring Tool.  The larger ones were all scored every 1/2" and the little black one was every 1/4".  All the embellishments were stamped and punched with whatever seemed to fit nicely with the paper colors and prints.  I think my favorite is this one here to the left with the Tangerine Tango and Black striped DSP.  Love how it turned out with two layers of scallop punched circles layered on under the stamped bat.  (After I saw the magazine, I added a rhinestone to the bat like they had done.)
I can't tell you how much fun these are to make.  You can use any paper, in any color, for any holiday or special theme.  I'm already thinking up ideas to update my Christmas danglies (that's probably not a word, is it?).  Anyway, it's lots of fun, so give it a try. 
tip:  With the Silicone Craft Sheet in the mini catalog, it's so easy to glue these medallions together with your hot glue gun without worrying about sticking to everything.  You can even squeeze out a glob of glue right onto the sheet and work from there to put the medallion together!  Easy peasy for sure!

Okay, I'm done fussing with this post.  The entire layout has gotten jazzed and I'm too tired and frustrated to figure it out.  I am soooooo not computer literate!!!   Arrrrgggghhh!  Oh well, at least you can see the pictures and get and idea what I did.  Have fun stamping!  Sharon

No comments: