Sunday, March 20, 2011

Home Run Birthday

Last month one of the ladies new to my classes asked if I could do a teen sport themed birthday card. She has boys that are teen and preteen that are all sports nuts and needed some ideas. Hoo Boy! That wasn't the easiest thing for me to come up with, that's for sure! I can do all kinds of floral and frilly stuff, but have such a hard time coming up masculine ideas. It took several evenings of playing around with ideas before I settled on this one. And then I was shocked at all the wonderful comments the class ladies made about the card and who they'd give it to. Guess I need to work on these types of cards a little more often. Here's the card I made - what do you think about it?


Stamps: Home Run, Extreme Elements, and It's Your Birthday (retired)
Cardstock: Night of Navy, Real Red, and Whisper White
Ink: Sahara Sand, Real Red, Night of Navy pads, and Night of Navy marker
Accessories: Large Tag and Extra Large Tag Punches, 1 1/4" Circle Punch, Crimper, Real Red 1/8" Taffeta Ribbon, and Dimensionals



Here's a closer picture of the layering of the stamps and colors. It was fun pulling the elements together so it worked. I was frustrated looking through all my stamps and not finding anything that I liked for the tag sentiment. So we all wrote something by hand instead. Some used "you're an All Star" or just a big #1. Either way it looked good and made it more personal for them. So I guess you don't always have to have a stamp for every little thing. (Of course, it is nice if you do!!)
Can't remember the last time I used my crimper, but it worked out well here. Sometimes you need just a bit more texture and brads, buttons, ribbons, etc. just don't work.
Thought you'd like to see how the design carried over to the inside of the card too. Loved how the colors and design all worked together. Think I finally came up with a winner on this one!
Thanks for stopping by and checking if there's anything new to see. I've been so scattered getting things posted. Hope you'll forgive me and stay patient with me. Have a great week and I hope we'll both get some stamping in!!
Sharon

2 comments:

Rhonda Langley said...

What a great teen guy card! Love how you framed the card with the words. Good colors! I struggle with young guy cards-you'd think with 2 boys I would be better by now huh?

Beth O'Hagan said...

Very nice Sharon. I love the stamping layers you did.