Thursday, August 12, 2010

CASEd Grunge

No, the total grunge look really isn't my style. But I've seen so many cards and 3d objects with the 'grunge technique' that intrigued me. Guess it was time to give it a try. So when my sis Connie emailed me a card idea she made with that look, I decided to use hers as a jumping off point and try my hand at it. It really helps to have a basic plan to work with when you're waaaaaaaaay out of your own comfort zone! LOL Of course, there were a few tweaks along the way to accommodate what I had on hand, but it does look quite similar.


Stamps: Grunge Rock, Extrme Elements, and Friends Rock
Cardstock: Crumb Cake, Pear Pizzazz, and Baja Breeze
Ink: Crumb Cake, Pear Pizzazz, Baja Breeze, and Soft Suede
Accessories: Early Espresso Taffeta Ribbon, Champagne Mist Shimmer Paint, Log Cabin Smooch Spritz, Metallic Brads, Mat Pack and Piercing Tool, and Distressing Kit






It was interesting layering all the stamps and ink colors onto the Baja Breeze cardstock. The hardest part was distressing it and then crumpling it up. Once you add just a smidgeon of the Champagne Mist Shimmer Paint on with little dabs from a sponge, it changed the look immensely and started pulling everything in together. The last touch was adding a spritz from the Log Cabin Smooch Spritz. Yep, that did it. Then just a couple of brads and the ribbon to complete the look. Not too bad. Then I took another look at Connie's card, and I think I might have used a different green color - not sure about that. But I am happy with the results.

So there you have it! I tried something new and way out of my comfort zone and lived to tell about it. Why not give it a try yourself? I can see why teens and tweens would like getting a card like this. It is kind of fun. Maybe I should give it another try since all those stamp sets are strewn over my table. Just a thought - isn't it silly that I had purchased 3 different 'grunge' style sets and had never made a card in this style??? Guess I just needed a bit of a nudge. Thanks Connie!

Have a splendid day today! Since it's sputtering rain outside, I think I just might spend some more time creating....
Sharon

No comments: